March 24, 2010

Sansan Ramen - Sannomiya, Kobe

Anyway, thanks to the Ramen Walker, I dropped by two places recently, Hakata Ramen Makoto (博多ラーメン真実)in Himeji and Ramen Dokoro Nidaime Sansan(ラーメン処二代目さんさん)near Nishinomiya Station. Seeing as I liked Sansan waaay better, I’ll talk about that one.

They had a special ramen running, meaty spicy miso tonkotsu ramen (肉みそピリ辛とんこつラーメン…couldn’t think of a better way to translate that) for 800 yen and that’s what I was there for. I ordered my ramen and a small chashu pork bowl and started salivating straight away. It was only AFTER I ordered that I noticed the free super size (大盛無料-oomori muryou) signs all over the place. Too bad, so sad.

The food came out and looked exactly like the picture in the magazine. A full half-boiled egg, chopped in half with it’s slightly runny yolk just barely staying within the wobbly confines of it’s hardened white. Rich ground beef and its accompanying oil spreading slowly throughout the broth. Large chunks of fatty white chashu

The ramen was as good as it looked, packing a bit of tantanmen like flavor into a tonkotsu miso broth that had depth and a rather pungent flavor without being overpowering. I’d definitely come back and this time bring a bigger appetite and opt for those extra noodles.

No comments: