April 27, 2010

Poor Kid

So lately this kid, K-kun, has been showing up at my house. On the regular. Like 4 days in a row. He's a 6th grader at one of my schools and I believe has a learning disability, but is generally fine. He's not a part of the separate classes often held for those with more challenging situations, and regularly takes part in English as well as other subjects without drawing too much attention to himself.

That said, he's also famous around our school for a number of things. He doesn't listen to instructions. He sneaks out of class and disappears somewhere into the school. He addresses teachers as "anta," a shortened form of "anata," which basically means "you" (like saying, hey you). Those in his group in class are regularly called upon to corral him into class. He also can be incredibly stubborn.

He has always taken a shine to me, perhaps because I am one of the few people in the school who answer him earnestly and truthfully. I like the kid, he's funny, energetic, and honest. Like a great number of my kids at this school, he knows where I live. I used to have a 4th grader in my apartment complex, and now I have a 3rd grader. I see her homeroom teacher every once in a while, and I often spy children going into the stationary shop across the street. I used to play catch in our parking lot with the 4th grader, actually. It's no secret, but until this year, no child has taken it upon themselves to come up to my apartment and ring my doorbell. Well, K-kun has adopted a rather disturbing habit. He camps out in front of my door on the 3rd floor, and calls my name out. He yells at neighbors returning home, asking if they've seen me. He bangs on my door and rings the doorbell. He attempts to peek into my window.

The other day, I came home from school sick as a dog and just wanting to sleep. I could hear K-kun yelling as soon as I got out of my car, and walked up the stairs to hear him saying things like "Andrew, get out here! (Andrew, dete koi!)." I asked him what he was doing and he responded by ringing the doorbell and saying he was looking for me. He proceeded to pepper me with about 4 or 5 different questions for the next 45 minutes, during which I made and consumed 2 cups of tea and made comments about being sick.

Another time I woke up (in the afternoon) to him calling my name softly through my window. In fact, the first time he came, he didn't know my apartment number, so he was just shouting my name in our apartment complex's parking lot. On Sunday, I had told him I was headed for a baseball game early in the morning so I wouldn't be there. He showed up at 8 am and waited for me to leave my apartment with Akina. He asked me a number of things, and proceeded to inform me that the bus I was taking didn't run on the weekend and I wouldn't be able to go to the game. I would have appreciated his advice if I didn't know for a fact it was wrong.

I can't help but wonder what this kid needs right now. Does he just need a friend? I know he isn't the most popular kid in 6th grade, and he has confided in me that he likes a girl in his class. He's also said he likes me, in a way that one might misunderstand quite easily. On Saturday, when I had work all day, he apparently went to my apartment 5 or 6 times over the course of the day, waiting for me to get back.

I'm not sure what to think. If he just needs a friend, that's fine, I'll play catch with him. But it certainly doesn't seem to be normal in Japan for kids to do this to their own teachers. When I informed my school rather casually that he had shown up at my house, there were shocked gasps and I heard a TEACHER say "stalker!" Now that's weird.

4 comments:

Danie T said...

i do think you can offer to be a mentor (not friend) to this kid but you need to lay out some firm boundaries. i'm not sure about japanese customs but you may be setting yourself up for some strange reputation or allegations. you always have to cover your end first. and...while he's strange and his behavior may be an indication that he has other needs to be met, it seems that he's annoying to not only you but to your neighbors as well.

maybe you can set up a time to meet with him NOT at your apartment? if that happened here in the us, it'd be trouble, trouble, trouble.

just my opinion :P

Unknown said...

I agree with Danie T... don't expose yourself to trouble. But it sounds like this kid needs some help/mentoring/friendship. Have you or the contacted his parents?

chin up!

Androo said...

Well, the more I talk about this with the other teachers, the more things make sense. Apparently, his mom doesn't want to deal with him at all. He gets in these moods when his parents fight, and often repeats what he hears at home at school the next day...which leads one to believe his parents are talking some serious smack about our school staff, despite their lack of desire/ability to do anything about him.

I'm in the process of trying to establish a stricter boundary between the two of us. Less forgiving, a little more harsh when I reprimand him, things of that nature. A lot of teachers ignore his behavior, kind of dismiss it as "well, nothing you can do about that," but I just can't let it sit when he does certain things, whether he understands or not.

On the positive side, he hasn't been at my apartment in about a week, though that could be because it's been rainy/I've been at the gym every day right after school.

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.