June 29, 2009

Sanjinsanjin Ramen 山神山人

Was in Akashi taking my written driving test last week (jeebus, 5 hours in the DMV for a test that took me less than 2 minutes) and stopped in Nishi-Akashi on my way back for lunch. One of the teachers at my base school had given me a card of a place she went to in Kobe. Sometimes it's nice when you blab the same thing about yourself (I love ramen) so much that they remember :) Anyway, I found Sanjinsanjin Ramen pretty easily.
It was fairly quiet because it was about 2 pm on a Wednesday, meaning their main clientele (you know, people with jobs) had already come and gone. I ordered a set menu that came with their normal ramen and a pork bowl.
The ramen was darn good. Some of the most addictive soup I've had in a long time, better than the stuff I had in Tokushima at Toudai, better than Ichi-ran in Tokyo and certainly on par with the stuff I get at Jaran every other week or so. It was thick, almost creamy, with none of the gross fatty bits that contaminate the sight of the soup (I don't care if it's in there, I just don't like seeing it). The pork was thick but SO soft and succulent and the noodles were very thin and firm. Great stuff and I can't wait to try and go back on the 14th after my driving test :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

man ... i really would like some ramen about now ... but all i have is the package of dried shit won at a karaoke bar nearly 11 months ago (damn time and the speed at which it passes).

Fuck you and the manner in which you describe this delectable Chinese noodle...

but in all seriousness, where does ramen stack up against soba noodles? Care for a tit-for-tat noodle challenge? You offer me up a stellar local ramen; i counter with an Izushi soba gormandizing, and we compare success at stomach satiation?

- paul "the buckwheat brawler" christiansen